This recipe yields 16 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.
In a large skillet, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in the cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, butter, salt and vanilla extract. Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans.
With the cooking spray, grease a 1.5-qt. baking dish. Layer half of the sweet potatoes and half of the apple mixture. Repeat layers.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden.