Looking to make something sweet for your sweetie this Valentine's Day? Why not try one of our chef favorites: Chocolate Almond Torte with Orange and Apricot Whipped Cream!
Submitted by Diane, Food Service Director at Heatherwood Senior Living in Boise, Idaho.
Apricot/Orange Whipped Cream
1/2 cup Whipping cream
¼ cup Orange-Apricot Marmalade
½ tsp. Vanilla
Whip cream, marmalade and vanilla to desired consistency.
Chocolate Almond Torte
10 oz. Chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 lb. Unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Toast almonds on sheet pan until light brown, set aside to cool.
3. Cut a round of parchment paper for the bottom of a 10” spring form pan, then butter the parchment covered bottom and sides of the pan.
4. In mixer combine eggs and sugar and using whip attachment, whip on high speed until the mixture quadruples in volume.
5. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and butter together over a double boiler.
6. Blend well and set aside to cool down to warm.
7. In a large bowl fold egg mixture into the chocolate using a large rubber spatula.
8. Pour torte batter evenly into the pan.
9. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes. Check periodically with toothpick.
2 cups Chopped chocolate or chips; semi-sweet or bittersweet
1 cups Heavy cream
1. Bring heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan.
2. Place chopped chocolate or chips in a bowl and pour the hot cream over it, stir to melt the chocolate. Be sure the mixture is smooth.
3. Pour over the chocolate torte while still in their pan, sprinkle with almonds and allow to cool completely before removing the sides of the pan and slicing cake.
4. Top slices with a dollop of Orange/Apricot Whipped Cream, orange zest and chocolate shavings before serving.