• 3⁄4 cups & 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
• 1⁄2 tsp. salt
• 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1⁄4 tsp. allspice
• 2 egg whites
• 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
• 1⁄4 cup & 2 tbsp. sugar substitute
• 1⁄2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 7 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
• 1 1⁄4 cups carrots, finely shredded
• 1 cup zucchini, finely shredded
• 1⁄3 cup walnuts (optional)
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat Oven To 350° F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and egg substitute. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar substitute, maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce. Mix in the egg mixture and stir to combine.
5. Stir in the flour mixture, then carrots and walnuts (if using).
6. Pour the batter into a greased, 8-cup loaf pan. (An 8x8 is also a viable option.)
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool.
9. While the cake is cooling, prepare the icing by combining the cream cheese, butter, honey, and vanilla.
10. Whip the icing’s ingredients together until fully combined.
11. Spread the icing evenly over the cooled cake.
12. Cut and enjoy!
About the author: Chef Thomas Vance is the current Director of Dining for The Atrium at Serenity Pointe in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He has been in the culinary industry for over 20 years and completed his culinary training with the Auguste Escoffier Culinary School and while serving abroad in the US Navy. He holds multiple culinary credentials and loves the overall artistry, precision, and passion that food has to offer.